I spit in your general direction
With a lull in action today for Chicago baseball teams, it's time to address the lull in a certain baseball players career.The date is October 3, 2003. The first home playoff game win since 1984. Mark Prior beat Greg Maddux in what was supposed to be the start of great things. Looking back now, it looks it could be the peak of what could have been a great career. He could still be a good pitcher, but that genetically loose shoulder could end his career.
Here is Prior warming up before the game. I missed the towel warmup drill.
Here is Prior on the mound between innings.
The final score Chicago beats Atlanta 3-1. Prior pitched a complete game 2-hitter with seven strikesouts. Maddux didn't pitch too bad- 6 innings and gave up 2 runs, which is now his norm. I remember saying to my friend Pete, who kindly invited me to the game(thanks again for the best game I've been to), imaging the rotation if Maddux joined the Cubs the following year. He did end up joining the Cubs and had good three year run averaging around 14 wins. I'm not sure Prior won much more 14 in that same time period. I don't know what else to say except maybe it's time to throw in the towel. I can't do that just yet. I know there is a picture of the towel drill in my archives. If and when the Cubs and Prior decide to end it then I'll post that picture.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home