Sunday, September 09, 2007

After the Chicago Half Marathon-uncool ways of decathecting

I'm not going to say too much today about the race today because I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong.

There was one cool story from todays race. I couldn't keep up with my friend Ralph and lost contact with him at mile 3. Then I ran into another friend Carey, at mile 4. At that point we were headed north on Lake Shore Drive and we could see the race leaders headed south on the Drive. Before Carey left me in his dust was telling me how he met Dean Karnazes at the race expo. For those of you who aren't familiar with Dean Karnazes, he's an ultramarathoner who ran 50 marathons in 50 days last year. Carey asked him if 13 miles is a short run for him. Dean said that he runs 13 miles in the morning, then runs it again in the afternoon.

Now let's fast forward to mile 7 in the race. I was starting to slow down at mile 6 and faded quickly behind Carey. I was able to find my pace again, and at that point in the race everyone has was running at a steady pace. Out of nowhere this guy with orange shorts and a grey shirt come flying past me. I tried to keep up with him, but he was too fast. I think it was Dean. After the race, Ralph told me he saw the same guy when he was at mile 9. I don't know if he decided to start the race at the last minute or if he just got a late start. I wonder if he ran the course before the race started, then decided to run it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home